|German Plum Cake|
The friday before I left for vacation, I hosted my bunco group. As I've written before, our group has been playing bunco for over 20 years. Bunco is a dice game that is played in rounds. There are 12 players and three tables. Players take turns rolling dice and trying to accumulate as many points as they can. At the end of the night prizes are given out for the most wins and buncos. That's pretty much the game however, for our group bunco is much more then a game, it is a social event. We get together once a month to share our friendships and the news of our community ( Ok some gossip, too). Good friends, good food, some wine and plenty of good times! This week we didn't even break up until 12:30 a.m.
I served several quiches, a big beautiful fruit plate, a spinach-strawberry salad and for dessert a German Plum Cake...one of my favorite fall desserts!
|Place plums skin side up|
|Ready for the oven|
|So delicious...you can serve warm or at room temperature! A little vanilla ice cream on the side is yummy!|
|Ice cream fridays...a tradition!|
German Plum Cake
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 stick of unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2-3 Tablespoons milk
About 16 Prune Plums, cut in half
1 Tablespoon to 1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Mix the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and blend it into the flour mixture with your fingers or a pastry blender to form a mixture with an oatmeal-like texture.
- Beat the egg and milk together. Stir into the flour mixture with a fork until the dough comes together. Remove to a clean, floured surface and knead gently just until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease and flour a 9 x13 inch pan, I use a 9 inch spring form pan. Place the dough in the pan and press it to cover the bottom, creating a lightly raised edge. Prick the dough lightly all over with a fork.
- Arrange the fruit neatly on top of the dough, skin side up. Sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven 35-45 minutes, or until the edges of the pastry are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Serve hot or at room temperature.